15 February, 2013

Koh Tao - Thailand

I know I should try to keep my posts in somewhat chronological order, but I just have to warn you about this a place on Kho Tao, Thailand. It's a restaurant and dive shop, and I can't say anything about the diving part, oh the food and especially the SERVICE I can say one or two things about...

To all my fellow coeliacs: don't eat at Big Blue Diving, Koh Tao! The staff there was stressy and very rude, and didn't even try to read/listen to me and my dietary requirements. Since our waiter's English seemed okay, I tried to ask what kind of wrapping they had on their spring rolls (I've heard that if they use rice paper they are gluten free). Anyway, I just about managed to ask my question and say that I can't eat wheat, rye or barley, before our waiter, whilst walking away from our table, says that he doesn't know about the spring rolls and that if I have allergies I should choose something I know I can eat. Then he was gone again. I was SO annoyed! How am I supposed to be sure about what I can eat if I can't ask questions and make requirements?! If there's something a waiter/waitress don't know they ought to be able to ask someone who do! And the fact that he just ran off without letting my friend or me to order is just unacceptable.
Eventually he came back so we could order our normal "safe" meal - fried rice - which you can easily get a tastier and cheaper version of in several restaurants on Koh Tao...

Based on the service, or perhaps I should say the LACK OF SERVICE in this place - I will NEVER go back to this place and I would NEVER recommend it to anyone, coeliac or not!!!

Oh dear what an angry post, but both my friend and I were very upset after this. And also there are so many much nicer places on the island - like Simple Life for example!

The manager at Simple Life is the only one there who read Thai (the others didn't understand my restaurant card) but he is a lovely person, and so helpful when it came to find me something I could eat that wasn't fried rice ;)

So leave Big Blue Diving to its own destiny and head to Simple Life to eat!

Love Erika

1 comment:

  1. What were you able to eat at Simple Life? I've been 15 days in Thailand and even if I love fried rice, I am tired of eating it morning and night :) I am in Koh Tao for the next few days. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete